Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Why I shouldn't read novels during the semester


 I am a binge reader. I think it might be unhealthy. Once I start a book, I simply cannot put it down, regardless of the amount of French homework or Syntax studying I may or may not have. What book stole my heart this time? The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I downed that beautiful piece of literary loving in little over 24 hours, shirking most other responsibilities during that time. I am particularly obsessed with any book whose main character is obsessed with books. I think this is why I loved this book and The Book Thief so much. TGLaPPPS is a collection of correspondence between some of the most lovable characters I've ever encountered. It takes place soon after World War II (I seem to have a thing for WWII novels) in England and the Guernsey Islands.


There they are, right near the French coast. I want them to be mine. Because of TGLaPPPS, The Channel Islands have now passed Greece on my List of Places I Currently Love from Afar but WILL Someday Explore or So Help Me. (Sometimes when I title things, I find it difficult to decide which words to capitalize. I also find it difficult to be brief, especially when the thing to be titled is of great importance.)

Once again, I can't stop thinking about how much I want to start writing again. Not boring research writing. Not even let-me-tell-the-world-about-my-life writing. Real, fictional, straight-from-my-brain-to-the-page writing. This is why I am awake at 1 in the morning. I tried to go to sleep for about 5 minutes before I realized how fruitless my endeavors would be. I want to write, but I can't think of anything to write about.

So for now, I'll just keep writing about my life. Hopefully I'll eventually have some sort of epiphany and a genius story idea will just fall down from heaven and hit me in the head.

On another note, I received this email from Grandpa today:

Just a short note to my beautiful oldest grand daughter – I love you!   Your grand Mothers ( Kate. Margie, and Lois)  love you and think you are kinda special-don’t know why-but they all agree--so there you are Katie Love!!!  You are special and loved… Talked with Heavenly Father lately?  You also have a beautiful mom and sisters. Loveyou Katie!!           -Granddad

I can't even express to you how blessed I feel! Unsolicited love notes from one of my heroes and favorite people ever? Beautifully constructed novels that leave me desperate for more? An afternoon nap on our comfy couch? Leftover chocolate pudding pie for dessert? Lovely sunshine all day followed by sweet-smelling, summer rain to lull me to sleep? Honestly, could life get much better?

No comments:

Post a Comment