Monday, February 4, 2013

Week 32: in which I remember the negative effect Excedrin has on me, and in which Aslan visits Hong Kong

Hello everyone! I can't believe it's February already! I'm having such a great time here and Sister Chan is just amazing!





 First off, I woke up with a killer headache/backache/shoulder ache this morning. I've been dealing with this for about a month now, I just can't figure out how to sleep comfortably. But anyways, I didn't want it to ruin our P-day, so I took some Excedrin and did some praying. And now my shoulders feel fine... but my arms and hands are shaking like crazy! So that's why this email will be shorter than usual haha. It's so difficult to type like this! So I hope you all appreciate the pain I'm going through to write this! :)

T-shirts of the week: The first one is black with huge red print that says, "THE PROOF OF GOLD IS FIRE." I don't really understand what that means. Is it some sort of reference to alchemy? Or is it chemistry? I think in chemistry there's some sort of chemical number called proof? Right? Or maybe I'm way off. Or maybe it has no meaning, just like most of the shirts here. And the second shirt I almost bought. It says, "Let the child techno." I totally agree! Who won't let those poor children techno?!

So a member of the ward told me that David Beckham's contract ended with LA and now he's playing for France? PSD? Is this true?! Please, someone inform me!!!

So Sister Chan and I have been going through a phase where we sing even more than usual. Our latest favorite thing to do is sing 'Ye Elders of Israel' really loudly in the elevator. We always hope that the people in the adjacent elevator can hear us and feel the Spirit as we sing. Actually, a lot of strange things happen in our elevators. So in our building, we have four elevators. Two go to the even numbered floors, and two go to the odd numbered floors. We're on floor 17, so last week we were waiting for the elevators, when we hear a mysterious DING. We look at each other in surprise, and then slowly turn to look at the even numbered elevators. And slowly, eerily, one of the even numbered elevators opens. We look at each other, unsure of what to do. But then in a split second we decide, and book it for the elevator. And as it descends, it feels as if we're entering another world. We brace ourselves (literally, we were in the corners of the elevator bracing ourselves; it's a good thing no one else came in, because it would have looked ridiculous) and I turn to Sister Chan and say, "Sister Chan. Do you know where we're going right now?" She looks at me and says, "Somewhere we've never been before." And I say, "Yes. Narnia." As we exit the elevator, somehow, everything is different, strange, mysterious. And the entire day was full of strange, mysterious things. But the most mysterious and miraculous and amazing thing? Wow, here's a story I've been waiting all week to tell you.

So after we did email last week, we went shopping in Mong Kok. A CRAZY CRAZY PLACE. We went into this mall that was more like a maze, so many things and so many people. And Mong Kok is known for thieves and pickpockets, so I held my bag on my front so that no one could steal anything. But I was pulling out my wallet to buy something when, come to find out, it wasn't in my bag! It had disappeared! I was terrified, because it had EVERYTHING--credit cards, debit card, Hong Kong id card, cash, the copy of my passport. I started shaking, but then I took a few really deep breaths and retraced my steps. We asked everyone if they'd seen it, but everyone said it was stolen for sure, that I'd never get it back. We went into a corner and said a prayer, the most desperate prayer I've probably ever prayed. But nothing. No luck. We talked to the guards and turned in a report. And then I cried a lot, facing into a corner so that hopefully no one would see me. And I prayed and prayed, but I just knew it was gone. We decided to hope against hope and check one more time. Without really thinking, I started checking in trashcans, and then Sister Chan decided we should go to the bathroom. Well, it wasn't in there, but as we left, we noticed a cleaning lady walking into a stairwell with a bunch of trashbags. So we follow her and ask if she'd seen a wallet. And she opened a big trash bag and pulled out my wallet! And it still had EVERYTHING inside. I burst into tears again and gave the lady a huge hug (I think I scared her actually haha) and told her she had answered my prayer. It was a miracle, really. There is no way to explain it. I have no idea how my wallet got out of my bag, but I do know one thing for sure: Heavenly Father is VERY aware of me and wants to bless me. Anyways, we were definitely in Narnia, because only Aslan could have pulled off something like that.





Anyways, in other news H___ is well on her way to getting baptized! We taught her the first three lessons last week and she loved it! I'm so excited for her, and this week we're meeting twice to get her ready for her interview. And on Friday she's buying us Pizza Hut! Real Pizza Hut PIZZA! I haven't had that in forever.

Well, I'd better go, we're headed to the mission office to pick up mail. I love you all so much! I'm having the craziest, most wonderful once-in-a-lifetime experience ever!







No comments:

Post a Comment