Monday, March 18, 2013

Week 38, in which I don't want to be Cinderella, sitting in a dark cold dusty cellar; and in which we have a couple of those 'I wish everyday was like today' days

If you recognized that song, you're either my sisters, you lived on Paspeheghe Run at some point in your life, or we are/should be best friends forever. Anyways, I have had that Cheetah Girls song stuck in my head ever since I went shopping in a poh-poh store (the place where all the old ladies buy their cheap, frumpy clothes) in Mong Kok last week. 'Why?' you may ask. BECAUSE THEY PLAYED THAT SONG. IN THE POHPOH STORE. IN HONG KONG. I almost died. It brought back so many memories, particularly when we (you know who I'm talking to) made up that dance in the room above the garage. Once a Cheetah Girl, always a Cheetah Girl!


Anyways, I've probably embarrassed myself sufficiently for one email.

And by the way, I ended up buying a couple skirts at that store. Turns out those pohpohs have pretty good taste!

Moving on! T-shirts of the week! (Note: Although it almost killed me, I have retained the original spelling.) Here's a good one: "Gettysburg Address: 267 words. The Ten Commandments: 88 words. FDA regulation on cereal flour (part 137): 10,959 words."

Or this one: "Queen save the God. Younth are the best. Love is everything. Eternity is not a distance but a decision." Younth? Oh dear.

I'm noticing a trend: "Queen savie the Good."

This is my favorite: "I am the overlord. Boast that. Pass the information north." I think "Boast that!" is going to be my new catchphrase. "Boast that!" like saying, "Owned!"

I've never really thought of myself as a terrifying person, but I think I've scared at least 15 people during finding this week. Maybe it's because I'm white and speaking Chinese? I don't know, no matter how nice I try to be, they still act like they want to run away! That's one of my preferred forms of rejection though, people just running away. It's nicer haha. Although I liked this one woman's way of doing it. I walked up to her and said, "Hello! I'm Sister Cutler!" And she says, "I am too! Good bye!" I just stood there for a couple seconds figuring out what had happened, and once my brain had processed it, she was gone.

In other news, we are allowed to email friends now! So exciting! But let me warn you now, I can't guarantee that my responses will be long or interesting! Family emails come first every time, no exceptions!

The past three days or so have been absolutely miraculous, so many IMMEDIATE answers to prayers. Seriously. The other day we were in Wan Chai and we had to get home right away, and as we're running to the bus stop, I'm praying in my head that the bus will come quick (because sometimes we end up waiting for half an hour). And I turn around and the bus is RIGHT THERE. And the next day, that happened again as we were running late for an appointment. We had to RUN to catch the bus, but we got there just in time! And as we were walking home one night, I was feeling kind of low, because no one had really wanted to talk to us that day. And I prayed in my head that God would send someone to us. And no sooner had I said 'Amen' then we ran into a man that I'd met a few weeks ago who's from Miami! Actually the first time I met him he was walking home with his wife, both of them kind of drunk, and I don't know why, but I was just super sassy and just stood there and said, "What are YOU doing here?!" And he said, super loud and with a huge smile, "I live here, what are YOU doing here?!" And I said, "I'm a missionary!" And he said, "A Mormon!" And I said, "Yeah!" And after a minute or two, they went home. But this time he was out with his little girl, and we talked for like 20 minutes, and it was so awesome!

And we've been blessed with so many random people to teach this week. The Tseung Kwan O elders scheduled someone for us, and turns out both her parents are Christian, but they go to different Christian churches, and she has always wanted to know why there are so many different churches and how she can know which one is right. Oh yeah, sounds like Joseph Smith to me! And then one of the girls that our elders found a few weeks ago finally met with us again. We watched the Joseph Smith movie, and afterwards she said she was so touched and that she knew God loved her and wanted her to be baptized! It was such an awesome lesson, the Spirit was so strong and we were all just grinning our faces off the whole time.

Oh, and one night we were out finding, and it was almost time for dinner, so we were just walking towards where we were going to buy dinner, but then I just stopped for no real reason and said, "Hey, let's cross the street." And as soon as we crossed the street, we saw these two girls in a park, and we went over to talk to them--yeah, SO GOOD. They were so prepared, and one of the girls even said that she has been looking for a church and is reading through the whole Bible to find out what is true. It's so wonderful when you realize that Heavenly Father really is guiding you. Often, I just have to trust that he is, because I don't always see the results of my actions. But this week has just been full of gifts from him, and I am so grateful for them. I love my mission! I love it, every minute, even the ones when I'm crammed in the MTR or being rejected by 14-year-old girls! I love the people and the area and I'm just having the time of my life! I can't believe I have less than 9 months left. Time is flying, and I keep reminding myself to live in the moment and bask in the experience. I'm so grateful for my family, and I love you all so much! Have a great week!







No comments:

Post a Comment