Friday, July 29, 2011

Paperbacks Ink

I just discovered it yesterday, and I love it for several reasons:

1. I'm a huge fan of puns, especially cheesy ones.
2. You can bring in your old books and turn them in for credit. Then you go through their collection of used books and use your credit to buy whatever books you want! It's a B-E-A-Utiful system because you feel like you're getting books for free!
3. The books aren't arranged in alphabetical order. This is inconvenient if you're searching for a specific book, but if you're just browsing it makes things more exciting!

I bought two books:


 I've never read The Enchanted April before, but the film is one of my top comfort movies. When I'm sick or tired or bummed out, I put in The Enchanted April and am immediately transferred to a beautiful castle in Italy where everything is magical and perfect and there's more than enough love to go around.


I've read Night a couple times, and each time I have been challenged with the same emotional questions that Wiesel faced: How could human beings do such evil things to other humans? How could victims have faith in people after going through those kinds of experiences? How could they have faith in God? Night is an emotionally exhausting book to read, but you won't be able to put it down until it's finished, and when you're done, you're left with a feeling, a need to do something to help someone. The book doesn't tell you who. It just tells you to go out and change the world. A pretty heavy task. I wouldn't recommend reading this book if you like where you are and don't want to become more charitable, more loving, more effective in serving others. Don't read it if you want to keep your blinders on. And definitely, definitely don't read it if you don't want to shed a few (or, if you're a softy like me, an abundance of) tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment