Sunday, July 3, 2011

Waterfalls and Chocolate Rivers

Yesterday we went on our final pre-family adventure (they're en route as I type!) to Rogie Falls. I think that walk is one of the most beautiful places in the world. It never ceases to amaze me how many shades of green Scotland can cram into one place.


These are cairns. In the past, according to Wikipedia, they were erected as landmarks, ceremonial markers, or sepulchral symbols. It seemed like something Aragorn would use, which is obviously why I took a picture.


The bridge wobbles when you walk across it. It's pretty terrifying slash exhilarating. Granny and Rebecca look totally calm though. That's the Sutherland blood in them.


During late July, the salmon start their long, arduous journey from the bottom of the falls to the top. We didn't see any salmon jumping this time though.


I'm kind of obsessed with Scottish trees. They are so gnarled and wild and old. I feel like they could come alive and start walking and talking, Ent-style.


This tree is incredible. The archetypal beech tree is thin and straight, but this beech is massive and ancient and probably has some incredible stories to tell.


A tree erupting from a rock. This is my favorite tree ever. There are plenty of easy places for it to grow but no, it wants a challenge.


I spent longer than I'd care to admit to put those pictures together like that.

 

After our Rogie Falls adventure, we needed a little refreshment, so we stopped by the Maya Chocolate shop for hot chocolate. I'm pretty sure there's a river in heaven made of the same stuff that was in that wondrous mug. It was rich, but not sickly. It was thick and creamy and hot and perfectly mixed and the perfect end to our adventure.

1 comment:

  1. The trees might also come alive like the Whomping Willow and lead you to a Shrieking Shack where you'll meet Remus Lupin. Just a thought.

    Oh, and they cairns are sweet, aren't they?! When I went hiking at Arches in Moab they use them to mark the trails. It's super cool.

    ReplyDelete